Sunday, July 23, 2006

Walk one, Longstone, Foolow, Hucklow, Tideswell, Cressbrook walk. 23.07.2006

This blog is all about pictures. If you want to see my pictures, well come back and visit often! Here I am, yours truly, Les - enjoying the perfect view on the perfect day. The weather has been VERY hot of late, a Summer at LAST, in fact! Today, I expected to be fried, but a cooling waft of a breeze and a little cloud turned the conditions into ideal for a walk. It was only 13 miles, but it had everything.
I hope you like these walks, this being the first, and I would ask you to please sign the visitors book, that way I'll know if what I'm doing is right.

This next images show you the well dressing at Little Longstone, this custom of dressing up the water sources in the villages is peculiar to Derbyshire. It takes a LOT of work and time to do these creations. They are made of only natural things, mostly petals and seeds. In the first one, you can see the dressing and the water troughs, in the second picture, a close-up of the detail of the 'ingredients' the dressing is made up of. A definative guide to where the well dressings are can be found here; http://sinfin.net/welldressing/welldressing.html
I am now going to do a second post, as I can't suss out how to get several pictures in a blog, with text between them?
The Lord save us from amateurs, eh?

No comments: