Sunday, August 27, 2006

UNCHARTED TERRITORY

Today I decided to do something I have been wanting to do for a long time - walk over Ravenstor crags. The thing is, I HAD contemplated doing it before, but a friend I had with me at the time was reticent to 'break the law' and trespass. Now, however, we have the 'right to roam'. I KNOW it's controversial, BUT I am really happy about it. You see, I AM a good walker, I don't drop litter, or fag ends (don't smoke) or anything else, especially not remains of fruit - banana skins etc (no mate - they don't look good, whether they bio-degrade or NOT - take them HOME with you).
I knew that across the dale, on the other side, they had opened up the top ridge and put in new stiles. To my amazement, and joy, there was a new stile here on this side too, so off I set.
I had to 'bushwhack' a bit, as it was VERY overgrown, but I was well rewarded with what I saw and the walk I got. It's amazing, but very precarious. The path is tummy-churningly close to the sheer drop in some places.
Anyway, first off, I got a whole new perspective on the viaduct at Monsal head, and here's a the first picture I got looking back to it. You can double click on ANY pictures in my blogs to see a bigger version.



Of course, there were some very nice rocks to stand on, and me being me - I just HAD to go and stand on one!

This is the view coming to above Water cum Jolly dale. If you look, you can see the 'alpine path' halfway up the dale on the opposite side. The top ridge is where I walked a few weeks ago, after it was opened up, as I said before.


I just took this one because I thought it looked nice with these berries for foreground. It's Water cum Jolly dale village.

So - here was where I wanted to get - and GOT! This is looking down to the Ravenstor cottages (all but ONE are holiday lets!!!!). Many a climber has stood here after the arduous climb up, so I felt I was cheating walking there, but it sure felt great to BE there after longing all these years.


There is also Wardlow Hay Cop nearby, and as it was never 'permitted' (although locals have been going there for YEARS) to visit it before, it now was, so I thought I ought to go there, just to say I had.

Now I was coming back to ordinary public footpaths, and I dropped towards Cressbrook dale. I got a short shower here, but nothing of substance. I sat in the dale in the warm sun, and ate my lunch beneath Peter Stone (pic later). This is a really beautiful dale, either looking from above or in it, and in the spring, it's filled with cowslips and early purple orchids.

As Blogger doesn't seem to like too many pictures in one post, I have had to split this, so you will just have to scroll down to read the second part. Enjoy!
Les.

1 comment:

Needlelacer said...

Beautiful photos Les, and the descriptions equal them. H