Sunday, April 08, 2007

Good Friday, good weather, GREAT walk.

Good Friday, good weather, GREAT walk! And with the prospect of the whole weekend settled, I decided to walk Friday AND Sunday (so there will be another set of pictures along soon, unless you email me and say you don't want them.
With a lovely, blue sky to start the day, I decided to walk from Warslow. I know this area is very up & down, and has superb long distance views from the moors. It's a very 'border' area, as there's a mix of rough grazing, and moorland. There are some pretty villages too, as you'll see. I also got a glimpse of the Easter bunny.

First stop though, was to take a picture of the lovely church in Hartington. I passed through on my way to Warslow and noticed the sun was in JUST the right position for the picture. Here's what I got;
There was also a nice daff' lined walk that took my eye as well.


Then it was on to Warslow to park up and start the walk. Sadly, today I'd see one of my favourite 'watering holes', the Cavalier inn at Grindon, closed and for sale. A sad sight indeed, however, it was softened by the fact that the Greyhound in Warslow is being re-furbished, and will open again soon. This excellent set of village troughs are opposite the pub.

Wild flower-wise, things are really beginning to get going now. I saw a LOT of different species, but I'm not really up on the names, so forgive me if I'm wrong on any. These are one of my favourites, the Primula, or Primrose.
Plenty of Celandine too, this was just a lonely one, but very photogenic, I thought.


This is the chapel at Upper Elkstone, a very small hamlet about three Kilometres west of Warslow.
Churchyards are always 'nice' this time of year. I mean, I KNOW they are full of gravestones etc, but it's what you make of it really! I love these places in the sunshine, with a smattering of daff's. Looks like a LOT of people have died here, as the graveyard is PACKED. I wonder if they bus them in from surrounding villages?

Here he is then, caught on camera - the Easter bunny.
(This one is black, which leads me to think he's an escapee from some child's hutch)


A wall full of feeders.
This was like McDonalds to the birds. Plenty came to partake as I stood there.
If you look carefully, you can see a little tit on that pump.


As I said, big, rolling views, this one from just beyond Elkstone.


Sad to see a lot of dilapidated barns too, in this part of the world. I HAD heard there was a programme to re-instate them and fix them up. I really hope they do, as they are such a lovely feature of the countryside, like the walls.
Of course, there was the usual 'crop' of my favourite - LAMB! These will be ready for the BBQ come July.

It was soon lunch time, and time for a swift pint. This is the Jervis arms pub, in Onecote.
They had a beer festival in full swing, and it looked like they were VERY busy in the evenings. They had BBQ's, outside bar, LOTS of seating, music, lights, etc etc. I wish I lived nearer! It was a delight to sit in the warm sunshine in the garden, with the sound of the stream babbling nearby.


What can I say - just LOVELY!

A little robin posed just long enough for me to capture him.

Sun, shorts, tee shirt, views = heaven!

This farmer had taken the time to line his drive with daff's.
I was actually in Staffordshire, and they are notorious for not looking after the footpath network as well as they should. Apart from many broken stiles etc, there were little 'gems' like this almost invisible stile - under a tree!

Here's the ubiquitous tree - can't resist them, sorry!


Caps off, lower heads - the poor Cavalier, closed!


The pretty church at Grindon.

After leaving Grindon, there are fine views all around, not least to the Manifold valley.
This huge limestone buttress hides Thors cave on the other side of it.

The undulating hills of the Manifold valley.
I love to walk here, and it's probably one of my favourite places in the peak district.

For the older ones among you;
"Once upon a time there was, a little white bull......"
Somehow I don't think THIS one will be going to the bullfight!


Last, but not least, another well-kept garden in a chocolate-box cottage in Warslow.
Then it was back to the car (sigh) and home from the walk.
Oh well, at least it's a holiday, and I've Sunday to look forward to.
(see next entry)

3 comments:

j!m said...

Yoo Hoo Les..........
Blog seems to be working OK for me.
Refreshed, went up and down the page, and still good.
Pix and text all okey-d.
Wonderful record of a walk.
Damn!! I miss Spring in England!
J

Needlelacer said...

It's ok for me too Les. No problems here.

Les, said...

Thanks you two, from ALL comments back so far, it looks strangely like it's only ME who has the problem, and that I don't mind! I KNOW the text is there, I was just worried it wasn't showing to everyone, but it looks like it is, so thanks for feedback.
Jim, you'll just have to keep logging on to the blog for your own 'virtual English spring', courtesy of yours truly!