Sunday, November 05, 2006

Winter draws on, part one

Bonfire night! I like fireworks, but as they've been going off around where I live for the past month or so, I am getting a little fed up with them! I decided a nice, long walk was in order and, as I hadn't been to the Longnor area for a while, that was my choice location. I had a nice, ten mile circle mapped out but, untypically, I've not been well for a couple of days, having mysterious stomach pains in the night. This left me weaker than I thought, so even though I set off in good spirits (and shorts!), I had to cut the walk short to about 5 miles after I found myself literally trudging along. Anyway, I did get a few pictures, but it wasn't the most photogenic of days, there being a bit of mist about and the light wasn't good either. This is a cobbled alleyway in Longnor. The black square you see on the wall on the right is the old Bull inn sign. Longnor used to be a VERY important place, before the coming of the train, and still to this day, boasts FOUR pubs. As you will see from last weeks blog entry, most villages are struggling to support the ONE pub these days.




The area, like most of the Peak district, was once the floor of a vast ocean. The limestone has been sculpted in the upper Dove valley and the result is what are known as the 'reef knolls'. This chain of hills are quite spectacular on a clear day with the sun on them. Not much chance of that today, but I still think they look good, in a more broody way! They look far bigger than they actually are, but they still make you grunt when you walk up them. Today, with me not feeling so good, I skirted around them. This is looking across to Chrome hill, from near Stoop farm.


The recent 'right of way act' (hooray!) has opened up yet more of our wild places for walkers. This is a view of Chrome hill that couldn't be taken before without 'trespassing'. Now, Hollins hill has been opened up. It wasn't on the agenda today, but we found the draw of 'new pastures' too great to ignore.
Please go to next part of blog entry (below).

No comments: