Monday, October 30, 2006

Did I say autumn??? More like SPRING today!! (2)


Whenever you're in a dale, you just KNOW there's a good climb coming. Mine was Gypsy bank, up to Alstonefield village. Looking down the climb on a picture, it doesn't look bad. When you come up it, let me tell you, it's a real 'knees in chest' climb!
Mind you, I always think it's worth it on a day like this.



Now YOU tell ME - is this spring or late October? I had shorts and tee shirt on, and was STILL quite warm! And just LOOK how green that grass is - someone should tell it - it's the 30th of October!


After Wetton village, a walk down a lane brings this view. that's the top of Thors cave, with Grindon spire in the background.
I heard some very sad news today about Grindon, the village pub, the Cavalier, for MANY years a favourite of mine, has closed due to lack of custom in the week. I knew the landlord and landlady. They were in the fortunate position of not having to make a living from the pub, they just wanted it to pay its way.
Alas, it couldn't even do that, so it's now gone for good.

Yours truly on top of Thors cave. I LOVE standing here, it's one of my favourite places. I first fell in love with Derbyshire on a school trip to the Manifold valley. To this day, I remember the effect that first view of the cave from the valley had on me. I think it's called a 'defining moment'.


And here it is - so you can imagine the effect this view would have on a schoolboy,
I nearly dropped my cigarette! (Don't smoke now, though)
You can see where I was standing earlier above the cave.
I was amazed to see quite an abundance of flora on this walk. There was no shortage of colour from Vetch, Harebells, of COURSE gorse (they say kissing's out of fashion, when gorse is out of flower).
All around me were the brown 'bones' of dead cow parsley, and yet, here was a NEW one, growing without a care, just as if it was spring!

At least, when the hard weather DOES come, IF it does come, the birds have this larder of berries on the gorse.

And so ended a lovely day at the end of October. No one can deny, we've had a great summer in 2006, but bot I look forward to the frosts and snow (remember snow???) of winter. The next two months are typically very dull, with not a lot to see but I am SURE I'll find something to put on here! Don't foget, by clicking on the 'comments' button, you can leave me a comment in my guest book. Thanks


No comments: