Saturday, October 07, 2006

A walk along the edges

Last Sunday saw me taking a walk along Curbar edge, Froggatt edge and White edge. It was a little rainy, but not too bad. The walk started in the small village in Chatsworth park, called Edensor (pronounced En'zuh). I was dismayed to see that the estate have started to charge people two pounds to park at the Calton Lees car park. I think that's too steep, and I won't be going there again.

Anyway, here's the classic view of the house through the trees. You can see it's not the sunniest of days!

The walk through the park to Baslow is very pleasant, this avenue is typical of a walk around Chatsworth.


With it being quite wet of late, there is LOTS of fungi about. I'm not sure which one this is, but it just looked so nice.

October, month of mists and melow fruitfullness. Here's a lovely bunch of Elderberries, and I did pick and eat some. They are usually very tart, being so full of tanin, but these were quite sweet.


As I climbed up onto the edges, I could see model aircraft doing stunts. The great thing was - there was NO noise, as they were radio controlled gliders! I must say, the guys flying them were very skilful and we watched them for quite a while before moving on.

The Grouse was our chosen lunchtime stop. here it is, looking from White edge.

The day cleared up a little, and we had a long period of settled weather but just before we got back to the car, the heavens opened and we got very wet.

This is my brother Colin, jumping about on gardoms edge.

A nice little corner on gardoms edge, just before it started to rain.







2 comments:

Needlelacer said...

Lovely photos Les. The fungi were very interesting - I used to use a lot of them for dyeing with natural dye stuff after spinning a quantity of white fleece.

Anonymous said...

Les, Thank you so very much for sharing parts of your country for me. I loved the pictures and almost felt like I was there with you. Phyl