Monday, October 30, 2006

Did I say autumn??? More like SPRING today!! (1)

Pics from yesterday. I went to Hartington, one of the loveliest Peak District villages in my humble opinion. It DOES suffer with too many tourists, but then that's the price of beauty. It still manages to hold that 'sleepy village' atmosphere though, especially if you get there early on.
I particularly wanted to see Beresford dale, where there is a plethora (I learnt that word in 'scrabble' at the weekend) of Horse Chestnut trees, and when conditions are right, they give the finest display of colours I've ever seen.
Guess what? Conditions were NOT 'perfect' - far from it, in fact. You need a long period of warm, dry and windless weather to get the leaves just so. Also, the river needs a good supply of water to get in on the act. I took the perfect picture here about ten years ago, and haven't managed to reconstruct those conditions since, but I intend to KEEP trying!
It was also a good excuse to go to the Manifold valley, one of my favourite places. There, the rare sight of the river Manifold with water in it was to be seen. Usually this river is subterranean, due to the porosity of the limestone bed.
(Don't forget - you can click on the pictures to enlarge them, and they look much better for it).
Who wouldn't want to live in a house like this eh? The beautiful limestone walls, surrounded by the copper of Autumn.
LOVELY!


This is Hartington village pond, complete with ubiquitous ducks.
I LOVE this scene, it really is a quintessential country village.


Although I am not, and never will be, religious, I DO think churches are such an integral part of a village view.
Hartington is no exception, and sports this lovely item at its centre.



Well into the dale now, this is just beyond 'pike pool', where the famous 'compleat angler' was written by Izaak Walton. He fished the river around here with his friend, Charles Cotton.

This is the bridge from Beresford dale to Wolfscote dale. here is where the Horse chestnuts grow, and the leaves give the best autumn show but, as you can see, the strong winds of late have stripped most of the leaves off the trees, and left a copper carpet on the floor.
It's still lovely, but not perfect.



The lane down to the river. I love the sign at the top of this road. It says; BERESFORD DALE (ONLY)


After the bridge, a green meadow is crossed before the path goes into the deepening Wolfscote dale. there are no wolves in England now, but the name suggests that there once was? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Dove,_Derbyshire I can find no evidence of this though. All I know is, on a sunny day, it's a really beautiful place.

There's this cave a short way up the dale side, just after Ravens tor (on the left in the picture). I always tell people it's impossible to take a bad picture from here, as the view is so aesthetically good. It helps if you take the picture when the sun is on the rock, but today it was Hobson's choice. Still, not bad though, eh?

Please go to post below for next pics.............

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photographs!

Les, said...

Thanks Ro, glad you like them. Have you looked at my other blog at www.walkderbyshire.blogspot.com ?